“The power of living is giving.” -Anthony Robbins
I really believe that these words by Anthony Robbins are the golden key to life. By living for giving, we can stop being needy and become creators – creators of joy, both for ourselves and others.
So here is a challenge I’m making for myself, and I want you to hold me accountable – and join in if you like. Every hour, I am going to write in my journal an answer to the question: what/how can I give to the world / to life right now? I am going to update this post with some of my hourly answers each day (minimum two). Sometimes it may be the same answer.
Because giving is so central to living a good life, I can’t afford to make any less of a commitment than HOURLY. Every waking hour and no less. The hope is that I will actually get into asking this question virtually constantly and then just automatically.
This is a big change from my previous Giving Trial, where I was full of broad ideas about the meaning of giving, but didn’t figure out how to turn it into a ton of specifics. Because it was so vague, I was unsure of when I was making progress and not.
Rule starts right now. This is a 21-day challenge, but today counts as Day Zero. Let’s go! 🙂
Day 0 – December 29, 2011
- I am giving this post and this commitment to the world. And this smile. 🙂
- I give to life by brainstorming ideas of how to use a free coaching session.
Day 1 – December 30
- Giving by coaching myself into a better mindset.
- Smiles and positive vibes to the people around me.
Day 2 – December 31
- Give thanks. Write down 10 things I appreciate.
- Tip my waitress well.
Day 3 – January 1, 2012
- Give to my body by going for a run.
- Smile at strangers.
Day 4 – January 2
- Ask a friend how I can be giving toward him.
- Volunteer at a community center.
- Invite someone I just met to my party.
Day 5 – January 3
- Give myself peace by refusing to worry at least until I know for sure what is going on.
- Call housemate about her concern – don’t wait for her to call.
Day 6 – January 4
- Commit to not posting any more FB status updates for two weeks unless concrete need.
- Look up events to fill up my days around this city.
- Invite housemate to several of these events.
Day 7 – January 5
- Give to my body by stretching.
- Give to the open mic by listening carefully and appreciating all that others share.
Day 8 – January 6
- Energetic poetry, as inspired by the open mic. On giving, no less.
- Carry around Free Hugs sign and hug a hostess and a cashier.
- Call friend to say happy b-day and leave gift.
- Support the gay clubs.
Day 9 – January 7
- 30 minutes of timed self-coaching out loud.
- Be joyous in nature.
- Appreciate the unusual (bluegrass) music.
- Make mistakes (going to a bar).
- Invite new friends to my party.
Day 10 – January 8
- Give my fascination.
- Give to my body by running.
- Become a good host!: clean room for guests, order vegan pizzas for party, make sure everyone feels welcome and part of the group/conversation, put on some appropriate music, guide the group massage activities, give good massages, and educate others about massage!
Day 11 – January 9
- Give to myself with timed meditation on decisiveness.
- Go for a run + meditate on energy.
Day 12 – January 10
- Five-minute speed self-coaching (very effective).
- Power self-coaching on being socially fearless (also very effective).
- Ask 5+ women to dance in the swing dance hall.
Day 13 – January 11
- Give to body by going for run despite rain.
- Practice dance on my own.
Day 14 – January 12
- Teach myself some swing.
- Give to my body by biking ALL the way up the hill.
Day 15 – January 13
- Create some more Free Hugs signs.
- Turn a piece of cardboard into a cheap (but time-consuming – but superior to store-made) and inspiring room decoration.
- Push my mind to do as many push-ups as possible (I’m sore as I write this).
- Be inclusive of everyone at dinner and at the club.
Day 16 – January 14
- Shop some practical stuff and room decoration (because I normally am stingy with money).
- Some serious journaling.
Day 17 – January 15
- Write a love letter to my body.
- Dance with bunches of people.
Day 18 – January 16
- Write two new blog posts; publish one.
Day 19 – January 17
- Ask girls to dance.
Day 20 – January 18
- Add another decoration to my room.
- Figure out next challenge(s) and work on blog post about it.
- Really work on getting into the giving mindset.
- Invite friends/acquaintances to hang out.
Day 21 – January 19 (last day!!!)
- Write and publish two blog entries.
- Clean up an older blog post.
- Clean/organize room.